Monday, June 6, 2016

Some Notes About Achieving Extremely Shallow DOF Using Collage

Using the technique of creating extremely shallow DOF that I have just explained, there are yet some things to keep in mind that I hadn't included in my previous post. First of all, one of the cons that I didn't mention is that it will take up much more photographic memory . One of the things that makes this technique especially challenging is when the weather outside is partly cloudy, and when those clouds move quickly across the frame. This can result in images with uneven lighting. I would recommend using exposure bracketing, and/or RAW files. However, using a really low resolution can also be helpful in that 1) It will take up much less memory, and 2) It will be easier to align the images if, for instance, you're objective is to capture a forest, and you have moving foliage, although that can probably be corrected with ICE, and other software works really well for those kinds of issues. So, even though this technique comes with difficulties, would this sway you to stray towards another technique? Personally, these cons do not prove enough of a problem for me to need to get Photoshop or a Tilt Shift lens (or even GIMP!)solely in order to achieve the miniature effect. The next project that I would consider achieving would be to use a miniature effect to create time lapses of plant (forest) growth, as well as creating a "collage" of images, each showing one scene, and taken in a different season.
What I Have Learned From Creativity
I think that this would definitely expand peoples' imaginations. We could now envision "The Bonsai Forest". And it would actually be some place really familiar, and would now make us ponder the sense of scale...maybe we do in fact, live in a tiny world?! To get a sense of just what I'm trying to get across, I will need to embark on this project myself, and create a new perspective on our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment